I hope that your fall 2012 semester was enjoyable and productive! As you are wrapping up your fall courses, I thought I would take this time to share some information related to Blackboard:
· Fall 2012 Blackboard profile: 117 faculty taught 60 online, 6 blended and 218 supplemental courses using Blackboard with an unduplicated student total enrollment of 3213.
· Fall 2012 online student profile: 717 unduplicated online students; 79.2% from Monroe county and 14.2% outside of Monroe county but residing in Michigan; 28.8% were under 21 years of age and 43.5% were between the ages of 21 and 30; 69% were female; 75% of online students were also enrolled in on-ground MCCC classes.
· For those of you that need to download your Blackboard grades, here are instructions for doing so: http://www.monroeccc.edu/jpeters/files/Download_Grades_Using_Blackboard9_1.pdf
· If you plan to upgrade your home computer system over the break, please keep in mind that the new Internet Explorer 10 is not supported for our current version of Blackboard (Release 9.1.60230.0).
· Earlier this semester, I informed you of a seminar regarding making web-based content accessible. If you missed that webinar, here is the recording: http://www.mccvlc.org/~staff/content.cfm?m=86&id=86&startRow=1&mm=0
· The Higher Learning Commission is conducting a focused visit at MCCC on March 4th and 5th, 2013. A portion of this visit is to examine the distance learning (eLearning) program here at the college.
· As you are beginning to develop and prepare your winter 2013 Blackboard courses, here are several resources that may be helpful to you:
§ Keys to an effective Blackboard course: http://www.monroeccc.edu/distancelearning/files/KeysToSuccessfulBlackboardCourse2011.pdf
§ Exemplary Online Course Rubric: http://www.monroeccc.edu/distancelearning/files/ExemplaryOnlineCourseRubric.pdf
§ Blackboard 9.1 supported browsers and operating systems: http://kb.blackboard.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=72810639
§ Instructions for utilizing basic Blackboard tools: http://www.monroeccc.edu/distancelearning/files/Blackboard_9.1_Introduction_fall2011.pdf
§ Modifying Blackboard Course Menu: http://www.monroeccc.edu/distancelearning/tutorials/BbCourseMenu_demo/BbCourseMenu_demo.htm
§ Adding files (e.g. Word docs, images, etc.) to your Blackboard course: http://www.monroeccc.edu/distancelearning/tutorials/AddFiles2Blackboard_demo/AddFiles2Blackboard_demo.htm
§ Blackboard Assignments tool: http://www.monroeccc.edu/distancelearning/tutorials/BbAssignment_Tool_Faculty_demo/BbAssignment_Tool_Faculty_demo.htm
§ Miscellaneous Blackboard tutorials: http://www.monroeccc.edu/distancelearning/elearning_trainingMod.htm
§ Internet Explorer and Blackboard External Links: http://www.monroeccc.edu/distancelearning/tutorials/IE_BbExternal_Links_demo/IE_BbExternal_Links_demo.htm
§ Students With Disabilities at Monroe County Community College: http://www.monroeccc.edu/lal/students_disabilities.htm
§ How to Make Presentations Accessible to All: http://www.w3.org/WAI/training/accessible
Copyright and TEACH Act Resources:
§ MCCC Copyright Procedures: http://www.monroeccc.edu/policies/pdfs/600%20Business%20Policies/643a%20copyright%20proc.pdf
§ The TEACH Act and Blackboard: http://www.ala.org/advocacy/copyright/teachact/teachactbest
§ The TEACH Act Check List: https://www.cusys.edu/ip/copyright/downloads/TeachActChecklist.pdf
Additional e-Learning Resources: http://www.monroeccc.edu/distancelearning/elearning_faculty.htm
Please let me know if you have any questions regarding this email.